Unico's adaptive reuse of an obsolete historical medical-dental office building into luxury residential with ground retail led to immediate success
The Cobb was the first dedicated medical-dental building built west of the Mississippi River and, upon its completion in 1910, provided offices for more than 200 physicians. Though well located and architecturally significant, the Cobb Building had become functionally obsolete and required a substantial makeover in order to stay competitive in the downtown Seattle landscape. The office sector was underperforming while the evolution of Seattle to a “24/7” downtown left the residential market underserved. Lastly, the necessary seismic upgrades were so pervasive that they required looking at the building anew, while the architectural and historic details were thought to be better appreciated by residents than businesses.